Thursday 18 April 2013

I Heart Mamma Lee


This blog goes out to Mamma Lee, my cake mentor, baking Jedi and all round super amazing lady. It is 100% down to my mum and the ridiculously good birthday cakes I had growing up to why I love baking so much. From watching the master at work I learnt from any early age that room temperature butter is a must, that you don't have to cream your butter and sugar before adding the eggs and that sifting your flour from a height will get lots of lovely air into it. Of course I could have learnt this from Delia but why would I need to when the best baker in town was on speed dial?

I made these mini heart shaped victoria sponges for Mums birthday last year and she loved them. I started by making my normal vanilla sponge recipe, I always use half eggs to fat, old school I know but as I say, I learnt from the master (although now a days I have converted Mums ounces into my grams). So in went 4 eggs, 225g self raising flour, 225g castor sugar, 225g butter, a teaspoon of baking powder and a drop of vanilla extract. I whisked all the ingredients together using an electric hand whisk (this was before my Kitchen Aid or as I like to call it BKA) until all was well combined. I then greased and lined a 7 inch round tin and poured in the mixture. I always set my oven a little lower than it should be, my motto is 'slow and low' so I popped the batter in at 170ÂșC for around 45 minutes (or until a skewer came out clean) I then let the cake cool on a rack. Once cooled I cut the cake in half and using a cookie cutter cut out heart shapes into each layer of sponge. I sandwiched them together using freshly whipped cream with a hint of icing sugar and some lovely strawberry jam then topped them off with a sprinkling of sugar. I took them round to Mums on this lovely vintage plate I found in a charity shop and every one dove in straight away. Such a cute alternative to a round victoria sponge and a great centre piece for a tea party. So bring on the summer when I will make them again and invite all my girls around for a right British high tea in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment