Monday 15 April 2013

Oh hello there lemonade cupcake, I hear you've been expecting me?


Well these little fellows went down pretty well in the office today let me tell you. The idea started off when I saw a pink lemonade cupcake on Pinterest (sometimes I'll start looking on Pinterest and the next thing I know it's two hours later and Biscuit's looking at me like 'Hello, remember me, i'm your dog, I need attention'). My thought process went... I like cake, I like lemons, I have that pack of Ikea straws that have gone unopened in the cupboard for the last 2 years, this could work. The only problem was the majority of the recipes I found were all American which would have been fine if my local Tesco stocked sweetened pink lemonade powder but on further inspection it would seem they did not. So let the free styling begin. To be honest this is when I do my best work, so fast forward to Sunday afternoon, Biscuit asleep on the sofa, Bob playing computer games so loudly I actually thought there was World War III happening in the living room and me in the kitchen with the door shut listening to Britney Spears' Circus album (It accidentally came on, on Spotify. Honest)  

I started with my basic vanilla sponge mix, I wanted to have a lovely surprise lemon curd filling and lemon sherbet icing so went against a lemon sponge as this would be too much. I nearly made the mistake of putting the curd in before baking but remembered last time I did that my cakes came out with what could only be described as a sink hole that could swallow up a small community in the centre. I held back and inserted the curd once they had cooled. While in the oven I whipped up some of my famous buttercream, I added lemon curd, lemon sherbet from a Dib Dab and even a hint of lemon flavouring to the mix. I don't really go on measurements, I use the taste test instead (by this I mean Bob, lover of all things made with butter and icing sugar). The result was buttercream which had a good tartness to it to counteract the sweetness. Once the cakes had cooled I iced them using a large star nozzle, decorated with coarse sugar (to imitate the bubbles) and popped in a straw. And there you have it people, one way to make your work colleagues happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment