Wednesday 17 April 2013

Who needs the moon on a stick when you can have a cake on a stick?


Cake Pops. Everyone loves a cake pop and that most definitely includes me. I only discovered these balls of joy last year when I baked some cup cakes that I didn't very much like the look of. I Googled what to do with the sad looking sponge and out popped these beasts, my Bonfire Night party cake was saved. I'd planned elaborate cupcakes with handmade chocolate fireworks flying out the top of them (melted chocolate piped onto grease proof paper and covered in hundreds and thousands). The fire works turned out great but I got distracted while the cakes were in the oven and they, shock horror,  went dry. I am a stickler for a moist sponge so this would most definitely not do, especially as I had friends coming round and I would rather serve up limp celery sticks and a questionable dip than a dry cake.  

The sponge was vanilla choc chip so I crumbled up the cakes and mixed them with a little bit of butter cream, just enough to get them moist and sticky. I made sure the slightly crispy tops of the cake were shaved off first, balled them up and popped them in the fridge for 30 minutes. I then melted the white chocolate over a bain marie stirring continuously, you have to be careful with white chocolate because it has a higher sugar content that dark or milk so it can burn more easily. Once melted I took the chilled balls out of the fridge, dipped a lolly pop stick in the chocolate (which I randomly had a pack of already in my cupboard, why wouldn't I?) and stuck it in the cake pop. The chocolate then cools and glues the cake to the stick. There is nothing worse than forgetting to do this and have the cake fall to the floor within one bite. C'est Tragique! I poured the melted chocolate into a long thin jug to make it easier to dip, and dunked the balls in all the way up to the stick. I shook off some of the excess chocolate, sprinkled with hundreds and thousands and left to dry by pocking the stick in some flower oasis. When it came to display them I popped them in a vintage glass and left them on the food table and voila, it was like nothing had ever gone wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment